Spider veins and varicose veins are common vein conditions that can be treated with safe and proven procedures such as sclerotherapy, endovenous laser ablation, and ambulatory phlebectomy. Depending on the patient’s specific vein condition, the vein specialist will recommend an appropriate vein treatment.
In each case, the treatment must be preceded by a careful preparation process to achieve predictable and sustainable results. Reger Vein and Skin Specialists, led by Dr. Gregg Reger, is a skin care practice and medical spa providing vein and vascular treatments to patients in Spring, TX, The Woodlands, and surrounding communities and neighborhoods in this region of The Lone Star state.
Prior to creating a customized treatment plan to address the vein or vascular problem, the vein expert will try to assess the patient’s fitness level and determine their candidacy for the vein procedure. While a procedure such as sclerotherapy for minor veins is a non-surgical injectable treatment, advanced procedures such as laser ablation and ambulatory phlebectomy will require a deeper evaluation.
The vein specialist will:
- Assess the actual condition and extent of the diseased veins
- Look for any signs of an underlying vascular condition
- Review the patient’s health records to note any history of blood clots or other conditions such as heart ailments
- Reschedule any current prescription or non-prescription medications in consultation with the physician, if necessary
- Look for any signs of skin allergy or infection in the affected sites
- Check the outcome of previous vein procedures, if any
Sometimes the vein expert may want to be more certain of the exact nature and extent of the underlying vein condition. This can be determined with the help of an ultrasound imaging test, which may be performed in-house at the vein practice or medical spa, or conducted outside. Painless and accurate ultrasound imaging can provide a clearer view to the vein and skin care expert, and help them create a more effective treatment plan.
While vein treatments are very safe and effective, these may have to be tailored to meet the unique needs of a patient. Sometimes sclerotherapy may have to be combined endovenous laser ablation, or more stubborn varicose veins may have to be treated with ambulatory phlebectomy. The vein treatment expert will describe the best treatment options to the patient, and help them make the right decisions.
Preparatory Tips for the Patient
The patient will be advised to follow a few simple tips as part of the preparation process:
- Refrain from using blood thinners, NSAIDs, and vitamin E for a few days prior to the procedure as instructed by the provider.
- On the day of the treatment, wear loose fitting and comfortable clothes.
- If required, arrange in advance for compression stockings in the right size and type as per the specialist’s advice.
- Avoid using any gel or cream, and do not shave the area of treatment for at least 48 hours before the treatment.
- Stay sufficiently hydrated, and have a nutritious meal before visiting the vein specialist’s office for treatment.
Highly regarded, awesome, and committed Dr. Reger receives patients from Spring, TX, The Woodlands, and nearby areas for vein and vascular procedures.
During a consultation at Reger Vein and Skin Specialists with Gregg Reger MD in The Woodlands, our team will be happy to explain more in detail what procedures and treatments would be the best fit for you. Contact us today to schedule an appointment to learn more 832-585-0090! Serving patients in The Woodlands, Spring, Houston, Texas and surrounding areas.